Pennsylvania Credit Union Association
Renick of York Named Credit Union Youth Ambassador of Pennsylvania
HARRISBURG – On May 17, Amber Renick was declared the winner of a statewide contest to serve as 2010 Credit Union Youth Ambassador of Pennsylvania. Renick represented the York Chapter of Credit Unions and is a Member Service (Loan) Officer for First Capital Federal Credit Union of York. The annual statewide contest was held during the Pennsylvania Credit Union Association’s (PCUA) 76th Annual Convention & Expo held May 16-18.
Renick, 23, is a native of Dayton, Ohio graduated from Chaminade-Julienne Catholic High School in Dayton and attended Saint Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Indiana prior to relocating to York three years ago. As Pennsylvania Credit Union Youth Ambassador, Renick will speak to credit union officials throughout the state at Association events and regional chapter meetings.
The First Alternate was Amanda Eckert, 21, of New Bloomfield representing Members 1st Federal Credit Union, Mechanicsburg and the Harrisburg Chapter of Credit Unions.
Second Alternate was Amy Swonger, 24, of Meadville representing MEADVILLE AREA Federal Credit Union, Meadville and the Erie Chapter of Credit Unions.
The judges for the contest were:
- Brent Dixon, Owner of The Haberdashery, New York and Consultant in Applied Research, Filene Research Institute, Madison, WI
- Denise Gabel, Chief Innovation Officer, Filene Research Institute, Madison, WI
- Kylie Giancotti, Sales Market Manager, CUNA Mutual Group, Madison, WI
- Jay Murray, President/CEO, Mid-Atlantic Corporate FCU, Middletown, PA
- Colin Piper, President, North American Operations, Econiq, Boston, MA
Ten finalists won regional contests before advancing to the state finals. The finalists completed a written exam before presenting speeches about credit union topics. A panel of five judges selected the winner, tallying scores from the test, personal interview, and speech.
The additional seven contestants were:
- Delaware County Chapter – Tara Powell, Linwood
- Montgomery County Chapter – Crystal Dowd, Collegeville
- Philadelphia Chapter – Matthew Hasson, Warrington
- Pittsburgh Chapter - Amanda Erb, Aliquippa
- Schuylkill Chapter – Toni Sacco, Birdsboro
- Shortway Chapter – Miranda Maines, Bilger
- Wyoming Valley Chapter – Ashlee Choman, Wilkes-Barre
The Pennsylvania Credit Union Association conducts the contest to attract young people to credit unions and to prepare them for leadership roles. Credit union members between the ages of 17 and 25 compete and are sponsored by the Association’s chapters. The contestants are judged on their knowledge of credit unions and their ability to communicate that knowledge.
Several hundred young people have competed in the Credit Union Youth Ambassador Contest since the early 1970s. Many of the contestants have gone on to hold volunteer and professional positions within the credit union movement.
Credit unions are financial cooperatives that provide affordable financial services to help their owner/members. The Harrisburg-based Pennsylvania Credit Union Association is a trade association that provides legislative, promotional, educational and operational support for nearly 500 credit unions in Pennsylvania. These credit unions have assets in excess of $31 billion and serve more than 3.5 million members. For additional information about credit unions or to find a credit union near you, visit www.iBelong.org