cuCheck Card Program
Members are Demanding Debit Cards
Debit cards give your members convenient purchasing power along with ATM accessibility. Members will find that debit cards are faster than writing a check and more convenient than carrying cash. It’s easy to see why so many members are requesting debit cards as part of their transaction accounts.
Credit Unions Benefit Too
There are many advantages to offering a debit card program, such as:
- Help attract and retain new members
- Provide additional cross-selling opportunities
- Increase usage of transaction accounts and member satisfaction
- Generate a new revenue stream for your credit union
- Daily settlement is provided through your Corporate account
- Credit union name and logo is imprinted on the card
Correspondent or cuCheck Card?
The Pennsylvania Credit Union Association offers credit unions two types of Debit Card Programs: Correspondent and cuCheck Card program. In general, the Correspondent program is designed for larger credit unions, while the cuCheck Card program helps smaller credit unions by avoiding higher network fees and processing costs. Your Association Representative can help you to determine which program is right for you.
cuCheck Card Program
The cuCheck program is designed to allow members debit card access for their checking/share draft account. Under the cuCheck program, services are provided by the Illinois League’s Service Corporation (ICUL). The program allows credit unions to avoid paying monthly minimum transaction amounts required by processors and networks in exchange for a flat monthly account fee.
ICUL Service Corporation Responsibilities
Under this program, ICUL provides credit unions with the following services:
- Implement your debit card program
- Train credit union personnel on internal operations to implement the program
- Input data to open and maintain cardholder information
- Provide updated information on operational issues as well as enhancements
- Provide a toll-free number to contact your Member Service Representative for credit union questions
- Provide semi-custom plastic design
- Provide complete chargeback handling, 24-hour security/fraud handling, and timely delivery of accounting reports
- Provide application and marketing materials at low costs
- Online daily reports delivered via Internet access
Credit Union Responsibilities
Credit unions that implement the cuCheck Debit Card program will have the following responsibilities:
- Obtain necessary programming from your data processor to post ACH (ATM activity) and CTF (debit activity) posting files
- Establish a policy for your debit card program
- Obtain the necessary bonding insurance for fraud losses
- Set transaction fees: monthly, quarterly, or annual fees
- Establish type and amount of overdraft, card replacement, document, and card recovery fees
- Maintain an Advance Clearing Fund/Program Clearing Account consisting of $1,000
- Market the debit card program
- Approve selection of members
- Determine program specifics, i.e. off line or positive balance authorization
- Provide name and logo for plastic design with camera-ready artwork
The implementation process to start issuing debit cards is approximately 120 days from the date that ICUL receives all signed documentation.
Implementation & Membership Costs
Fees are required to implement a cuCheck Debit Card program. Please check with your Association Representative for charges.
Your Association Representative will be happy to provide you with a detailed cost estimate based on current number of transaction accounts.
For more information or to get started, please contact your Association Representative at 800-932-0661, or e-mail CUSolutions@pcua.org.
- Business Development / Sales
Assistant Vice President,
800-932-0661 x 5330
Sr. Account Executive